PALLAY PONCHO MOUNTAIN
From 4:30 to 5:00 A.M. We will pass by your hotel in our private tourist transport, and then move for approximately 4 hours to the south of Cusco until we reach the town of Layo, where we will enjoy a comfortable breakfast; after that, we will continue along a trail to the town of Chosaqtera (starting point of the walk – parking).
There our guide will give you all the respective recommendations to start the walk, here the path is extremely narrow therefore, you have to be careful. This hike will last approximately 2 hours until we reach Pallay Poncho Mountain (4,790 M.S.N.M. approx.).
On the way, you will observe beautiful landscapes and when you reach the viewpoint you will be even more surprised by the magnificent geometric figures that the Incas called tocapus (they are represented in their ponchos, which is called Pallay) and now known as the Montaña de Pallay Poncho or Pallay Punchu. Once in the place, our guide will explain part of the Andean history and the geological formations, then they will have time for some photographs, videos, or take a break contemplating the beautiful geographical scene of the mountains and the Langui Layo lagoon.
After having appreciated this magnificent place, we will return along the same path, towards the parking lot of our transport units (town of Chosaqtera), and then return to Layo, there we will enjoy a delicious lunch; and then return to the city of Cusco, end of our tour.
ITINERARY OF THE TOUR TO PALLAY PONCHO MOUNTAIN
- 4:30 A.M. I pick you up at your respective hotels, to go south for approximately 4 hours.
- 8:00 am. Arrival in the town of Layo and breakfast prepared by the same residents.
- After breakfast, we will continue 30 more minutes in our transport until we reach the town of Chosaqtera (starting point of the walk – parking).
- 9:30 A.M. start of the hike to Pallay Poncho Mountain.
- 11:30 A.M. arrival at the Mountain of Pallay Poncho.
- Beautiful panoramic view of the Pallay Poncho Mountain, in the background the beautiful Languilayo lagoon.
- 1:00 PM. Return in our private tourist transport (parking) and then to the town of Layo in our tourist transport.
- 2:30 PM. lunch.
- 6:30 PM. return to the city of Cusco approx.
WHAT DOES INCLUDED IN THE PALLAY PONCHO MOUNTAIN TOUR?
- Biosafety protocols.
- Tourist transport.
- Professional guide.
- Oxygen and first aid kit.
- Maximum group 7 passengers per transport.
- Gel alcohol.
- Box lunch.
- Temperature measurement.
NO INCLUDED THE PALLAY PONCHO MOUNTAIN TOUR
- Tips (optional).
- Food & drinks).
- Trekking sticks.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE PALLAY PONCHO MOUNTAIN TOUR
- Chinstrap and face shield (Required).
- A small backpack.
- Thermal clothing for the cold.
- Trekking/walking shoes.
- Rain poncho.
- Hat and sunscreen.
- Personal medications (if necessary)
- Photographic camera.
- Extra money in soles.
Walking level: The walking level is cataloged between 1 to 4,
- 1: being simple on flat terrain, without much difficulty.
- 2: flat terrain and few slopes.
- 3: few flat land and steeper slope. 4: sloping and rough terrain.
In this case, the walk is considered level 2, 3, and 4: flat terrain, not very rough terrain.
Maximum height: Approximately 4,650 M.S.N.M. (15255.91 Ft.)
Walking time: 5 hours approx. (round trip).
HISTORIA PALLAY PONCHO
PALLAY PONCHO MOUNTAIN HISTORY
Pallay: Andean weaving style, triangular shapes, and rhombuses. These geometric figures were symbolized on blankets, dresses and many garments, in case it is in ceramics and constructions they were called tocapus. Pallay Poncho is said to the ornate clothing of these figures that resemble the terminations of the mountains, both in the colors and/or the slashed and zigzagging shape. In particular, the poncho / puncho comes to be clothing for men, which is the representation of the Apus or mountains.
The Pallay Poncho Mountain represents all the mysticism of the Andean weaving style and was discovered by local explorers from the Layo community during the quarantine time that was presented in 2020, where everyone had to stay in their homes. It is said that because of this, many people, for fear of the covid -19 virus, replied that there were plants in the mountains that would serve them to prepare antibiotics against this virus in case it arrived in said town.
Therefore the young Tony Ccalta Arce, together with his brothers, undertook this journey for more than 4 hours towards the mountains in search of plants. Upon reaching the sector, he was able to make out these beautiful mountains, which were hardly inaccessible, since they decided to continue and there they found these beautiful hidden mountains, in the Apu taqllo mountain range. People always talked about the Pallay Poncho Mountain, they said that it was a sacred entity with its clothing since it was thus forgotten.
At present, the residents and authorities are very excited that this attraction is recognized even more, and they look forward to the visitors
Please ask for a personalized quote. Pricing is customized based on final accommodation options, travel dates, and other preferences.